Do You Leverage the Power of Silence?

Silence can be a powerful tool
Silence can be a powerful tool when used correctly. It shows strength in knowledge, confidence and patience. It is a strategic tool that can serve you well when applied.
Women on average speak 3 times the number of words a man does in a given day. So, it is not surprising that women typically have a harder time with silence; we like to jump in and fill the void.
At the office, we’ll jump to safe topics such as weather or weekend plans. This is easily seen when people are coming together for a meeting. Before the meeting actually starts, observe that men are okay with sitting in silence and the women often times are the ones who break the silence. I am not suggesting that we all clam up and not socialize; what I am talking about is awareness.
I think the most powerful part of silence is in a meeting where choices are discussed and decisions made. Typically I am not the first one to toss my opinions out on the table or the first to counter someone else’s opinion. I will sit in silence until towards the end of the discussion and will state my viewpoint.
Having stated that, I will tell you there are topics I am absolutely passionate about and am the first one to speak up … but I intentionally don’t have that be my default mode. There are meetings I go to that I don’t share any opinion because it frankly in an area of the company that is none of my business.
We all know people who feel the need to share their opinion at every meeting they go to and as soon as they open their mouth people cringe, reposition themselves in their chair or become absolutely fascinated with their laptop inbox.
I don’t know about you, but that is not the reputation I want for myself in meetings. So, I observe people’s body language when I speak to ensure I’m not becoming long-winded or way out there on my viewpoint.
Awareness is the key to learning the power of silence. Observe those in positions of power at meetings and notice when they enter the conversation … typically you’ll see them jump in after the discussions have been going awhile. Note that this is the culture of your company on how best handle yourself in meetings